Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Walkie Talkies

We just bought a couple of Motorola SX700R Talkabout radios for the family to use while hiking and skiing in areas where cell phones don't work.  They use a public radio band called GMRS that's licensed specifically for this purpose and is more powerful than the FRS ("Family Radio Service") you get in those cheap kids walkie-talkies.  The FCC requires a license ($80 for 5 years) to use GMRS radios, but I just discovered that you don't need a license in Canada, which it turns out is where we'll be using them when we go there to ski.

No comments: