Celebrating Food and Wine in the Northwest is a short (9-min) podcast from NPR last week worth listening to if you like food. From the description:
Weekend Edition Sunday, January 13, 2008 · Northwestern cities such as Seattle and Portland are experiencing an explosion of new restaurants and wineries. Braiden Rex-Johnson, author of Pacific Northwest Wining and Dining, talks to Liane Hansen about why she loves Seattle's food and wine scene, how to shop for seafood, and what makes a good wine pairing.
Here's the book
My sound bites:
- Portland chefs are more daring because the real estate costs are lower.
- See Etta seafood: cold-smoked salmon with shiitake mushrooms
- Best recipe is on p.34 "wild king salmon with cherries"
- Kevin Davis at Steelhead Diner in Pike Place Market is "taking the city by a storm"
- Recommends the virginica oyster